I've discovered the biggest drawback of this project: accounting for my time and expenses. Somehow I seem to spend every extra minute of every day adding things to my spreadsheet, making corrections, rethinking some part of my accounting method. I'm sure I'm using the most inefficient method ever invented to track things—and somehow, no matter how many times I'm at the store, I forget to mark down the price of one item. In poring over my spreadsheet making adjustments, and adding the last prices to the last items, I found my initial figures to be significantly wrong! I'm still under budget—but by $3.20, not $8.54, as I originally thought. (My Week 1 summary is here.)
Since the original intent was to simply document what we eat and see what it adds up to, I'm faced with a decision. Shall I continue to just cook like I normally do and see where I land? Or do I need to make some adjustments to make sure that I come in under budget?
But the challenge has me by the throat by now, and whether I intend to or not, I'm going to be mindful of the more extravagantly-priced items.
My CSA box this week consists of asparagus, a fresh red onion, another bunch of carrots, salad mix, sugar snap peas, strawberries (yum!), and summer squash! I don't think I remember getting asparagus and summer squash in the same box before.
Breakfast this morning is muesli & yogurt and coffee. Lunch is chickpeas and chapatis and an orange for me, and Carrot Soup, toast, and an orange for him. The weather has turned cool again. Or rather, mornings and nights are cool. Afternoons are warm.
My previously scheduled soup is on the menu again, and after last night's fiasco it's a blessedly simple meal to make. I rearrange the recipe, of course, and since I'm out of celery I use a bit of celery seed instead. Grated pecorino cheese on each serving and a nice salad and we have plenty to eat.
« Read the previous entry [ 05.10.07 ] Read the next entry »